"Honesty Always the Best Policy"
Pennick Family Therapy - "a place for change"
RSS

Recent Posts

Unloving Mothers
Creativity to Reduce Stress & Heal
How to Talk to Someone Who is Depressed
How's your personal vision?
Grief - The Myth of Keeping Busy & Avoidance

marriage, relationship
Mental Health
parenting
Therapy
powered by

My Blog

"Honesty Always the Best Policy"

"Honesty is the best policy", seems to have been lost on our society today.  We do not seem to find it in our politician, our communities, our relationships or even to ourselves.  We have been encouraged to be politically correct, not to make waves, consider others and take the high road.  All are somewhat good things to remember, however, when you are not being true to yourself where does that leave you?

In my work with clients, I have discovered that most of us feel that in our personal and professional lives we are playing the role of a peace maker.  We are afraid to speak our minds for fear of the back lash.  Fear is the number one motivator in our lives.  We will do things, say things, put up with abuse and accept things simple because we are afraid.  If the devil we know versus the devil we don't.  As people are very willing to say, "put up or shut up" so...we shut up.  The other thing that many people do in long term relationships, is to say, "I pick my battles."  So we put up with rudeness, inconsideration, less than and sometimes hateful attitudes from those we love because we want to keep the peace.

All of this behavior and dishonesty is harmful to our well being.  It takes a huge toll.  We lose a little more of ourselves every time we bury our feelings and just get on with it.  Do you find yourself doing this?  Do you get a little sick at your stomach every time you do it?  Are you suffering from headaches, pains in your back or shoulders?  Their is a definite connection between the mind, body and spirit.  I add spirit because I believe even if we are not conscious of our dishonesty...it effect our health.

Now, you are probably thinking, "I can't be honest about everything, every thought that pops in my head!"  You do not have to tell someone that their hair looks horrible since they colored it.  You do not have to be mean or hateful.  But if you someone tells you that they are going to do something for you that you are depending on and they don't do it...what are you going to do?  Are you going to let it go...do it yourself and spend the rest of the day angry and upset?  Why not simple let the person know that you are disappointed and that you are faith in them that they would follow through.  Be honest.  Ask yourself "what is the worst thing that can happen?"

We need to hold people accountable.  Even the people we love need to know that we respect ourselves enough to speak up.  Do not let yourself be put in second place.  Put yourself first and others will treat you with respect.  If you act like you do not matter, that is exactly what you will get.

In my next blog, I will expand on this thought of putting yourself when I talk about the misconceptions about selfishness.

12 Comments to "Honesty Always the Best Policy":

Comments RSS
jewelry museum on Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:25 AM
What i don't understood is in reality how you're not really much more smartly-favored than you might be now. You are very intelligent. You understand thus significantly in terms of this subject, made me in my view consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women are not involved unless it' one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs outstanding. Always handle it up!

wycieczki do grecji on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:43 PM
When setting up your individual house ought not want among two More intricate versions allow us to contact often the wheel or the accuracy mincing associated with smaller shapes together with diffusion.

zakupy ze stylistkÄ… on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 3:01 PM
Therefore, necessary oil radiators are quite to suit bedrooms during which heating system is needed for a long time. It is completed simply because hemp and deep, uniquely threads, which can be an essential element in

adres on Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:27 PM
Just pay for from the armarios. The idea enables safe-keeping of substantial jackets It may be valued at contemplating your house new carpet is actually not

waterproof watches on Tuesday, January 06, 2015 5:45 PM
I impressed, I have to say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that' each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient people are talking intelligently about. I'm very completely happy that I stumbled throughout this in my search for something relating to this.

profile on Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:57 PM
In the kitchen, ending work ought to be put to use like a tool to help appreciably increase the look belonging to the room When seeking for delete word interior design concept need to glimpse first of all for the Internet

Equity Tips Provider on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:08 AM
It takes a huge toll. We lose a little more of ourselves every time we bury our feelings and just get on with it

Jeniffer Mellecker on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:03 PM
A small number of thoughts by using mosaic glass?

Elza Colin on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:44 PM
when considering indoors finishing?

Richard Staheli on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:25 AM
no small to medium sized expense?

Huey Laducer on Friday, November 13, 2015 8:34 AM
amateurs do not possess a new clue?

NSE & BSE Market Tips on Saturday, December 24, 2016 2:41 AM
I really think this blog is very interesting and very knowledgeable kindly post more and more such blog. people must read this blog.